Friday, May 18, 2018

Judicial Branch, Day 7 - Class Recap

Please note: I was out of the building today, supporting the Westview boys tennis team at the state championships. This is a post about what I wanted to have happen in my absence. I also will be out on Tuesday (I have an unexpected training that I need to attend), so you will take the Judicial Branch quiz on Thursday.


Inside a subway station in Washington, DC, where the three branches of our federal government are based. Photo taken in 2010.

Dear class,

We finished preparing for the Judicial Branch quiz today, by wrapping up the movie ! Here's what happened today in class:

Learning Targets Addressed:
Knowledge LT 2: I can demonstrate an understanding of the role of governments in current issues.
Knowledge LT 5: I can demonstrate an understanding of the principles, structures, and functions of different levels of U.S. government.

Soundtrack: Silence - sorry!

AGENDA 5/18/18:
News Brief – David and Sofia
12 Angry Men
Study for Judicial Branch Quiz

Homework: Read the blog. Turn in any late/incomplete work. Judicial Branch quiz will be on THURSDAY (not Tuesday, as originally announced). Next news brief: Assigned in class.

News Brief: David and Sofia had the news brief today and hopefully shared interesting articles - make sure to email me or share the write ups with me!

David selected this article to talk about: NYTimes.com - Jerusalem Embassy Is a Victory for Trump, and a Complication for Middle East Peace.

Another student was assigned to do the next news brief.

12 Angry Men: After the news brief, we continued watching one of the most critically acclaimed movies ever: 12 Angry Men (1957). This is a great way to wrap up the judicial branch unit, as we learn more about the jury process through watching this film. I know it is old and black and white, and I was glad to see that students were paying close attention. Here is the film note-taking assignment, if you missed class or lost your copy:


Study for Judicial Branch Quiz: Last class, I passed out this study guide (the juries reading was on the back side) for preparation:

One of the questions on the test will be (thanks for checking the blog!): In this case the U.S. Supreme Court declared that no one accused of a crime has to stand trial in any court in the land without benefit of counsel unless he or she specifically refuses it.
A. Dred Scott v Sanford C. Gideon v Wainwright
B. Plessy v Ferguson D. Brown v Board of Education

If you aren't sure, guess in the comments and I will tell you what the answer is! See you on Thursday, when we will take the quiz! On Tuesday, you will have a one day assignment to complete. Thanks, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)