Monday, January 23, 2017

State and Local Government, Day 4 - Class Recap


Rowena Crest Viewpoint, near Moiser, Oregon. Photo taken in 2016.

Dear class,

I enjoyed talking with everyone about the new presidential administration today, and also our work with analyzing how race has impacted our state and local government, especially in Portland. Here's what happened in class today:

Learning Targets Addressed:
Knowledge LT 1: I can demonstrate an understanding of the interplay between citizens and their governments.
Knowledge LT 5: I can demonstrate an understanding of the principles, structures, and functions of different levels of U.S. government.
Research LT 5: I can effectively conduct and apply research. 

Soundtrack: "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie. Selected for today due to the women's march over the weekend. Lyrics here.

AGENDA 1/23/17:
News Brief – Kenny
State and Local Presentations
Lift Ev'ry Voice
Film Questions

Homework: Read the blog. Continue studying for finals! Next news brief: Harmony.

News Brief: Kenny was not in class today, so I filled in.

We also discussed the women's marches around the country and world this past weekend, along with what the Trump administration has started doing in the first few days in office. I compared ObamaWhiteHouse.gov to the current WhiteHouse.gov to see what was different.

State and Local Presentations: We finished with presentations today in class! If you have not turned in the corresponding paper, please do so ASAP, as I will be grading these with your finals.

Lift Ev'ry Voice: With our last few days before the final, I wanted to focus on how our state and local community has acted with regards to race - specifically, the black community in Portland. To start, I showed this article that (while pretty long) does a great job at going into detailed history here:


We then watched the first part of an excellent recent documentary from OPB, called Lift Ev'ry Voice. We still have about 50 minutes next class to watch, but if you want to watch again, share, or get caught up, it is here:


Here is the worksheet that goes along with the documentary:


I think it is super important that we understand our own history regarding race in Portland, especially as I think there are some common assumptions that are just not true. As such, I was glad to see that almost everyone was glued to this in class. I'm looking forward to finishing it up next time and discussing it!

See you on Wednesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment. I will review the comments before posting them to the blog, so do not worry if yours does not pop up right away. Remember, do your best with spelling and grammar! :-)